This popular Korean beef dish is a great addition to any BBQ and is quick and easy to make for large crowds. Bulgogi is also great for bibimbap, a traditional Korean dish made from mixed vegetables, rice and egg.
You can even make bulgogi spicy by adding some gochujang and Korean chili flakes.
INGREDIENTS: (serves 4-6 people)
- 1.3 kg rib-eye Bulgogi beef (available at Korean grocery stores) or finely sliced rib eye
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 3 tbs maesil (green plum syrup) or honey
- 2 tbs vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbs dark soy sauce (optional)
- 1 Korean Shingo pear or other asian pear or 1/2 cup of apple juice
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 tsp MSG (optional)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
Garnish: green onions, sesame seeds.
- In a large bowl, combine minced garlic, ginger, sesame oil, soy sauce, dark soy sauce, vinegar and maesil.
- Blend peeled Shingo pear with 1/3 cup of water until nice and smooth.
- Add pear mixture (or apple juice) to marinade and season to taste with salt, pepper and MSG.
- Add the beef to the marinade and make sure every slice is in contact with the marinade.
- Let the beef marinate for at least one hour.
- Before cooking the meat, make sure too drain well so that it won't become watery.
- In a pan on medium high heat, or a K-BBQ grill plate, add a bit of oil to grease the hot surface.
- Add drained marinated beef and cook for 3-5 minutes or until opaque.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and green onions, and serve hot with rice, pickled radish, ssamjang and greens (lettuce, perilla leaves...).