Mulhiye Soup, is a delicious Turkish soup made from Molokhiya (also known as Jute), a healthy and nutritious vegetable eaten since ancient times. This healthy and simple soup is a great way to start any traditional Turkish meal. I usually make this soup from frozen Molokhiya but you could use dried or even fresh if you can find it.
INGREDIENTS: (serves 4-6 people)
- 400g frozen Molokhiya (Jute)
- 1 onion
- 2 tbs Biber Salçası (Turkish paprika paste)
- 1 1/2 tbs Tomato paste
- 1 clove of garlic (minced)
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 1/2 tsp vegeta (or a bouillon cube)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp grape vinegar (available at Turkish grocery stores but you can replace with verjus or lemon juice)
- salt and pepper
- Finely dice the yellow onion into little cubes and set aside.
- In a large pot, melt some butter on medium heat. Fry the onion until translucent.
- Once the onion is translucent, add minced garlic and spices and cook for 5 min.
- Add vegeta, tomato paste and pepper paste. Cook for 5 min on medium heat.
- Deglaze the pot with water and add the frozen molokhiya.
- Add 7 cups of water.
- Bring to a boil, season to taste and simmer for 5 min on low heat.
- Add vinegar and mix well.
- Serve hot as a first course with bread of choice.