This Palestinian Arab dish is considered the national dish of Palestine. This sumac chicken with bread and onions is very popular across the Middle East and is super easy to make. It's great for large gatherings since it's easy to make in large quantities. You can serve this dish as a main and accompany it with mezzes of your choice like hummus.
INGREDIENTS: (serves 6)
- 6 chicken legs
- 2 red onions
- 2 tbs 7 spice
- 4 tbs sumac
- 100ml good quality olive oil
- 6 tbs pine nuts
- 6 flat bread of choice (pita, taboon, markouk...)
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- Mix in a large bowl, 3 tbs of sumac, the 7 spice, 50ml of olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Add the chicken and make sure it's completely covered in the marinade.
- Marinate the chicken for 1 hour.
- Heat a large pan and add the rest of the olive oil.
- Add the diced onions and season with salt and the rest of the sumac.
- Cook the onions until slightly caramelized around 15 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 400 °F ( 205°C).
- Place chicken on a baking tray and bake for 1 hour at 400 °F ( 205°C).
- Toast the pine nuts on low heat and set aside.
- Serve the chicken on the flat bread with onions and pine nuts.