Rice Cooker Plov
Rice cooker Plov (Polo)
This classic Central Asian dish is considered the national dish of Uzbekistan and is a staple across the region. This easy and delicious rice pilaf can be made with either lamb, beef or chicken and has many local variations.
INGREDIENTS: (serves 4-6 people)
- 2 cups washed short grain rice (preferably Turkish or Uzbek rice)
- 1 kg meat of choice (in cubes)
- 1 large carrot
- 1/2 sweet onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 80g raisins of choice (I use Xinjiang green Turfan raisins)
- 1 tbs wild cumin or Central Asian spice blend
- 3 tbs sunflower oil
- On medium high, heat a pot and add 1 tbs of sunflower oil, and brown your meat of choice, and set aside.
- In the same pot, add sliced onion and fry in 1 tbs sunflower oil with a little salt until slightly translucent and set aside.
- Slice carrot into matchsticks.
- In a rice cooker, add your meat, onions, carrots, raisin, seasonings, garlic and 1 more tbs of sunflower oil.
- Cook on regular setting for 55 min to 1h 10 min until the rice is cooked and the meat is tender.
- Serve hot with Tandyr Nan and salad.