These Taro Baos are a delicious snack or breakfast. If you are not a fan of taro, feel free to replace the filling with red bean, vermicelli, Chinese BBQ, kimchi or even stir fried vegetables.
INGREDIENTS: (makes 4 large baos)
- 1 1/2 cups of bao flour or all purpose flour
- 100 ml milk
- 1/2 tsp instant yeast
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbs oil
- 1 tbs + 1/4 cup of sugar
- 350g taro root
- 1 tbs butter
- In a bowl, combine yeast, room temperature milk, 1 tbs of sugar and oil. Mix.
- In another bowl, combine flour with salt.
- Make a well in the flour mixture, then add the liquid ingredients.
- Knead for 5 minutes, until nice and smooth.
- Let the dough proof, covered, for 1 hour.
- Cut the taro into bite size pieces, and steam for 15 minutes or until soft.
- Mash the taro into a paste and add remaining sugar and the butter.
- After proofing the dough, divide into 4 and form balls.
- Roll the dough pieces out and fill with the taro paste.
- Pinch the dough to seal, and let it rest covered for 8 minutes.
- Steam the baos on high heat for 15 min. Then, let them rest with the heat off for 5 minutes, with the lid on to avoid collapsing.