This traditional Middle Eastern rice pudding flavoured with rose, pistachio, mastic and vanilla, is a delicious and simple dessert.
INGREDIENTS: (serves 4-6 people as a dessert)
- 3/4 cup of rice flour
- 1/2 cup + 1 tbs of sugar
- 1/4 tsp mastic
- 1 L whole milk
- 1 tbs rose water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or half of a vanilla bean
- dried roses
- ground pistachios
- In a bowl, combine the rice flour with 1/2 cup of sugar and set aside.
- In a mortar, grind the mastic with 1 tbs of sugar until it's finely crushed.
- Add the mastic sugar with the rice mixture.
- In a sauce pan on medium heat, add the rice mixture and gradually add the milk to avoid lumps.
- Cook the pudding for 3 minutes and when it starts to thicken, add your rose water and vanilla extract.
- Cook for another few minutes until nice and thick and the rice is cooked.
- Enjoy either warm or cool with cinnamon, ground pistachios and dried rose petals.